This post has done the rounds a lot in the last 2 years about how jealous I was of everyday things. Ive just read through them again and felt I needed to update them (in brackets and bold). Amazing how your outlook can change, i’m always learning. I love this boy to bits.
I’m jealous. There I said it.
I’m jealous of other families that don’t struggle like we do – I am jealous, I’m not proud of it. I am a green eyed monster. There are lots of things that make me jealous things that you probably haven’t given a thought to.
- I’m jealous that you can go food shopping with your child and not have to dump your trolley and get them out because muller have changed their packaging or an unexpected tannoy announcement causes a meltdown. (2017 edit – I hate shopping anyway, online is the way to go).
- (2018 edit – shopping is pants, still)
- I’m jealous that your child wants to put carrots out for Rudolf, watch Elf and get excited at Christmas.
- (2017 edit – Tricky one. I think I miss tradition. Alex and Ellis are too old and I miss it. Reilly does not. Me me me lol. I still watch Elf, I still put the carrots out, the reindeer dust might land on top of the wheely bin but who honestly gives a f”ck?) Santa still gets here.
- (2018 edit – haha! Up yours Reilly is loving it! We’ve got a plate for mince pies, he’s bought his carrots and we are having it this year!) .
- I’m jealous you can stroke your child’s hair and take him for a haircut.
- (2017 edit – I stroke it in his sleep, his hair is long, no biggy).
- (2018 edit – after his hair tatting like a spaniels and his cutting his fringe his hair is now shorter. I can stroke it slightly more. Me me me).
- I’m jealous that going on holiday for us means 6 months of displaying photographs as social stories of aeroplane steps, engines, seat belts and still having no clue whether he understands it all or not.
- (2017 edit – there are worse things I could be doing at least we are doing it).
- (2018 edit – been and talked to the airport about becoming more user friendly with ideas in the pipeline. We look at holidays daily on the internet and trust me no prep is required he loves it).
- I’m jealous that your child does the actions to Incey wincey spider and sings along.
- (2017 – never liked nursery rhymes anyway, usually creepy full of stories of wronguns).
- (2018 edit – nursery rhymes are still crap and Reilly says moo and meows on old MacDonald’s farm. That’s enough for me).
- I’m jealous you go to bed and sleep for more than four hours.
- (2017 edit – Melatonin saved my life, true story).
- (2018 edit – melatonin continues to keep me and Reilly on an even keel).
- I’m jealous that you can give your child food that is not just coloured beige.
- (2017 edit – beige is nice, beige is popular).
- (2018 edit – he now eats pizza and the yellow bits off haribo eggs, he’s healthy, it’s no biggy).
- Im jealous of your play dates.
- ( 2017 edit – sometimes – but I like it just me and him)
- (2018 edit – still like our own company, our rules, our way, we leave when we want).
- I’m jealous of family trips to the cinema. (2017 edit – £50 for a family trip and counting – you can keep it!)
- 4 attempts at Peter Rabbit, still too expensive you can keep it).
- I’m jealous that when your child is ill you can fix it and know what is wrong or where it hurts.
- (2017 edit – STILL JEALOUS)
- (2018 edit – still jealous)
- I’m jealous that any snippet of spare time I get to spend with my husband is spent discussing worries.
- (2017 edit – everyone has problems maybe thats what you do to?)
- (2018 edit – I am a worrier, if it wasn’t Reilly it would be the river in York for my oldest at Uni, bullying for my middle child, health, money list is endless).
- I’m jealous I don’t have time for friends. (2017 edit – YUP but i’m trying)
- (2018 edit – must make more effort).
- I’m jealous that your child can tell you they love you.
- (2017 edit – He loves me I know it, I just haven’t heard it, he traces my face with the tip of his nose and it says it all).
- (2018 edit – he signs it to me. I feel this is extra special ❤️
But you know what I am also?
Proud, extremely proud.
Have you any idea how hard it is for him to function in this chaotic world? He has the determination of 10 men, the independence of 20 and the stamina of 100.
I’m proud of every tiny step he takes and celebrate each one. Be it touching a piece of fruit, making a new sound or completing a 300 piece jigsaw!.
I’m proud that he is loving.
I’m proud that he is smart.
I’m proud of how hard he tries.
I have 3 beautiful boys and I am incredibly lucky. There are people wishing they had what we have but just sometimes I just can’t keep that green eyed monster at bay.
(Green eyed monster is kept at bay most days I am happy to update).
I feel sorry for those who don’t have a Reilly in their life, amazing what can change in a year.
Another year down more lessons learned, more understanding of my Reilly.