This post has done the rounds a lot in the last 2 years about how jealous I was of everyday things. Ive just read through them again and felt I needed to update them (in brackets and bold). Amazing how your outlook can change, i’m always learning. I love this boy to bits.
I’m jealous. There I said it.
I’m jealous of other families that don’t struggle like we do – I am jealous, I’m not proud of it. I am a green eyed monster. There are lots of things that make me jealous things that you probably haven’t given a thought to.
- I’m jealous that you can go food shopping with your child and not have to dump your trolley and get them out because muller have changed their packaging or an unexpected tannoy announcement causes a meltdown.
- (2017 edit – I hate shopping anyway, online is the way to go).
- (2018 edit – shopping is pants, still)
- (2023 edit – shopping still the pits)
- I’m jealous that your child wants to put carrots out for Rudolf, watch Elf and get excited at Christmas.
- (2017 edit – Tricky one. I think I miss tradition. Alex and Ellis are too old and I miss it. Reilly does not. Me me me lol. I still watch Elf, I still put the carrots out, the reindeer dust might land on top of the wheely bin but who honestly gives a f”ck?) Santa still gets here.
- (2018 edit – haha! Up yours Reilly is loving it! We’ve got a plate for mince pies, he’s bought his carrots and we are having it this year!) .
- (2023 edit – Reilly has no interest in Reindeers, Santa or xmas dinners)
- I’m jealous you can stroke your child’s hair and take him for a haircut.
- (2017 edit – I stroke it in his sleep, his hair is long, no biggy).
- (2018 edit – after his hair tatting like a spaniels and his cutting his fringe his hair is now shorter. I can stroke it slightly more. Me me me).
- (2023 edit – I can stroke his hair and sometimes i’m allowed to cut it)
- I’m jealous that going on holiday for us means 6 months of displaying photographs as social stories of aeroplane steps, engines, seat belts and still having no clue whether he understands it all or not.
- (2017 edit – there are worse things I could be doing at least we are doing it).
- (2018 edit – been and talked to the airport about becoming more user friendly with ideas in the pipeline. We look at holidays daily on the internet and trust me no prep is required he loves it).
- (2023 edit – last holiday was cancelled as he now refuses to fly)
- I’m jealous that your child does the actions to Incey wincey spider and sings along.
- (2017 – never liked nursery rhymes anyway, usually creepy full of stories of wronguns).
- (2018 edit – nursery rhymes are still crap and Reilly says moo and meows on old MacDonald’s farm. That’s enough for me).
- (2023 – He loves the songs from Matilda the Musical no time for nursery rhymes).
- I’m jealous you go to bed and sleep for more than four hours.
- (2017 edit – Melatonin saved my life, true story).
- (2018 edit – melatonin continues to keep me and Reilly on an even keel).
- (2023 edit – Melatonin sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t sleep still not great)
- I’m jealous that you can give your child food that is not just coloured beige.
- (2017 edit – beige is nice, beige is popular).
- (2018 edit – he now eats pizza and the yellow bits off haribo eggs, he’s healthy, it’s no biggy).
- (2023 edit he now just east KFC, Burger King, Pain au Chocolat (co-op only) and Greggs Donuts)
- Im jealous of your play dates.
- ( 2017 edit – sometimes – but I like it just me and him)
- (2018 edit – still like our own company, our rules, our way, we leave when we want).
- (2023 edit – absolutely not bothered about your play dates)
- I’m jealous of family trips to the cinema.
- (2017 edit – £50 for a family trip and counting – you can keep it!)
- 4 attempts at Peter Rabbit, still too expensive you can keep it).
- (2023 edit – Cinema is now his fave place. We saw Peter Rabbit 32 times. We have now seen Matilda at least 20 times)
- I’m jealous that when your child is ill you can fix it and know what is wrong or where it hurts.
- (2017 edit – STILL JEALOUS)
- (2018 edit – still jealous)
- (2023 edit – will always be jealous)
- I’m jealous that any snippet of spare time I get to spend with my husband is spent discussing worries.
- (2017 edit – everyone has problems maybe thats what you do to?)
- (2018 edit – I am a worrier, if it wasn’t Reilly it would be the river in York for my oldest at Uni, bullying for my middle child, health, money list is endless).
- (2023 – We worry about him constantly)
- I’m jealous I don’t have time for friends. (2017 edit – YUP but i’m trying)
- (2018 edit – must make more effort).
- (2023 and I have a girls trip every year without fail)
- I’m jealous that your child can tell you they love you.
- (2017 edit – He loves me I know it, I just haven’t heard it, he traces my face with the tip of his nose and it says it all).
- (2018 edit – he signs it to me. I feel this is extra special ❤️
- (2023 edit – Oh he loves me!)
But you know what I am also?
Proud, extremely proud.
Have you any idea how hard it is for him to function in this chaotic world? He has the determination of 10 men, the independence of 20 and the stamina of 100.
I’m proud of every tiny step he takes and celebrate each one. Be it touching a piece of fruit, making a new sound or completing a 300 piece jigsaw!.
I’m proud that he is loving.
I’m proud that he is smart.
I’m proud of how hard he tries.
I have 3 beautiful boys and I am incredibly lucky. There are people wishing they had what we have but just sometimes I just can’t keep that green eyed monster at bay.
(Green eyed monster is kept at bay most days I am happy to update).
I feel sorry for those who don’t have a Reilly in their life, amazing what can change in a year.
Another year down more lessons learned, more understanding of my Reilly.
wow you are doing so well wondering why its just you he hits. where ever the cough comes from. Yes i am with you on the sensory thing deffinatley,could it be he dose n’t understand where and how it comes from and he is hitting you wanting protection from it. just a thought. Is there any pictures in your pile that shows sneeze cough crying laugh? How do you manage to control the hitting Christine, ?
I can’t control it Nickie. I’ll video it one time you’ll be shocked x
Hi my name is Eileen I have read your very honest heart rending but beautiful insight into your life. You are Amazing parents and family and you have an amazing son. Have you ever thought of putting your experiences into a book to help other parents know they are not alone. I work in Northern Ireland with children / young adults who have autism, my daughter also works in A special school in Newcastle and I have watched the children arrive into school at 3 years of age each child is unique and I have seen how they have overcome so so many challenges but do you know what 99% of the children are so very very happy I know so many children who have arrived into school with no speech but by the age of seven can communicate with speech better that their teacher. I swear I am privileged to be able to see what progress is made daily and it still shocks me. Your son has a lovely bright future ahead I am sure of that with a family,teaching assistants and teachers that love him dearly. I wish you health & happiness with your 3 boys and life will get easier for you
Hi Eileen thankyou so much. To be honest I thought it would be a tool for people who come into contact with Reilly to just understand him a little better but it seems to have travelled way further. There are so many topics to cover that I think may help others so I’ll definitely continue ❤️
What a lovely post, you’ve made my day x
Ahh Thankyou for replying. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed reading your blog and thinking how your story could help so so many parents throughout their child’s life. I know lots of parents who feel so alone and isolated it’s just not the same when a parent who hasn’t walked in their shoes tells them ” tomorrow may be a better day”. You know how they feel. Please do not delete your blogs as one day you could put all these together and be a saviour to so many people worldwide. You are doing a fantastic job don’t forget that! X Eileen
I couldn’t have said this better myself,
Yes we’re lucky to have our children, being told I couldn’t have any to then having my daughter extremely early I KNOW how lucky I am BUT I’m angry, jealous and worried at the same time
Your so strong xx
LikeLiked by 1 person
Reblogged this on The Life of Reilly and commented:
How things change ….
Comments are closed.